2024-10-09

My Favourite Caving

My Favorite Caving

When I were nobbut a spotty young shit-bagger, we had a sudden rush of cavings when CBU. Shakers completely blinded, OBM gushing over the top of the shakers, sand-trap level sensors plummeting - which is why I hauled myself down to the shaker house to see what was going on. The poor shaker hand (Zander, it was ; not long after he was made up to derrickman) was standing on the shakers, desperately shovelling to try to un-blind the shakers, and looking anguishedly at the squwak box to call the driller. So, I phoned upstairs (Terry French on the brake) told Frenchy what was going on, he cut the pumps back and we got things under control.

While we were getting the hole clean, this little beauty came up.

"Block 22" is a licensing district of the North Sea, a little east of the infamous Forties field. I didn't know the stratigraphy of the North Sea very well then, but I'm pretty confident in my assignment of it to the Miocene ; I might even go as far as the "Lark Formation", but I wouldn't go to the gallows over that. It's a thick mudrock series above the productive Forties and Andrew sandstones (new name : Mey Sandstone ; it's not worth trying to keep up with the ever-changing nomenclature).

30cm end-to-end is pretty unhealthily respectable for a caving. This was not a healthy borehole, but we did manage to get the casing down, IIRC. Bit of a struggle, but we did it.

It's not particularly obvious from the pictures, but the caving is strongly curved, concave towards the camera. When measured, the inner diameter was pretty close to 17.5 inches. I didn't realise this at the time, but that was a good sign - which I'll discuss later when we look at the other side. For now, note the sub-parallel sub-horizontal scratches at various places, including just above-right of the printed label. I interpret these as being scratches made by the bit (or possibly some of the downhole tools, but I think we were on a fairly simple BHA because we were on an appraisal well - more or less vertical.

Let's flip it over.

[Hmmm, definite depth-of-field effect there. The "feathered" convex-to-camera surface is in focus in the middle of the field, but towards the edge of the caving it's out of focus.]

From the geometry of the cutting, this was a surface within the rock, which failed because of stresses within the rock which weren't counterbalanced by the drilling mud. That (and 8 other functions) is what mud is for. (The formal title of my job then was "mud logger", not shit-bagger.)

On this surface there is a faint "feather" structure with a central spine running circumfrentially to the wellbore and many plumes splaying out to either side. This is the mark of the propagation of the initial fracture when the rock failed. What triggered the failure isn't clear - maybe a large microfossil, or an existing fracture or vein.

This next picture zooms in on the "feather structure". It's worth putting this into your mental collection of "search images". You see this structure in your cuttings dish (or in more obvious cavings) and you know you've got a pore pressure problem, regardless of what pore pressure modellers, mud men, Uncle Tom Cobbley or even the company man says. They can ignore the problem, or rub woad into their communal belly button and pray for it to go away. But you, youngling-geologist, have to report it.

Zooming in further, I wonder what dragged across the caving to cause this tool mark. I was pretty careful handling it - "Pretty! Precioussss!" - keeping it in a paper bag to slow it's drying, avoiding point sources of heat, carefully wrapped in my kit bag to go home. I don't know if this happened coming up the hole, or on surface.

The Company Man got a batter cutting - nearly 50% of the wellbore circumference. But he kept it on the shelf above the radiator in his office and it crumbled to dust the day before my crew change. He tried bribery and corruption to get mine. Once. " Precioussss!" Didn't work. Again, I did tell him "don't dry it too aggressively". Not responsible for advice not taken.

cm and mm scale ; the other side of this scale has American bananas. I've had to do too many conversions for people who can't handle a different unit system to what they grew up with.

This last picture is taken with "oblique illumination" to show the "feather structure" better. It has around a half-mm relief from the general surface.

End of Document
Back to List.

Filed under geoPr0n, which is a very specific type of Pr0n.

No comments:

Have to get back into the habit

/styles Bloody hell, pushing 3 months since I touched this. Got to get back into this. 6 weeks visiting Dad didn't help, but I&#...